Tuesday, July 22, 2014

getting dusty.....

The BlueStar is on hiatus.  I have not been seen at the stove now for 6 days, I think that is the longest I have gone on without cooking since we bought it.  It is perfectly fine with me.  I did bring with us a couple of freezer containers of sauce for our dining pleasure.  We served the sauce over tortellinis and a 1/2 loaf of "kiddie" bread.  "Italian or French" bread that is purchased at the supermarket outside of the five boroughs is considered, by us, to be only fit for kids' consumption.  Sometimes it is the only bread that you can get, so you have to suffer.  But kiddie bread can be enhanced if you have good butter, and there is nothing better than bread and butter.

On this Maine holiday my quest is to have the quintessential "Maine Lobster Roll".  This is a task that I take on with great enthusiasm.  We have had three so far.  We lunched Bob''s Clam Hut in Kittery.   That lobster roll was awesome.  The Clam Chowder was delicious also, as was the clam strips.  All in all, everything they served was pretty awesome.  Next we had a lobster roll at the Brookside Diner in Smyrna.  Their lobster roll was ok, just ok.  I thought it had a little too much mayo and the bun could have been toasted, although their fries, both sweet and regular were nice.  The best thing that we had there was the new potatoes with peas.  I said that it was a good thing we don't live here cause I would be eating them all time. Then we had a lobster roll from Craig's Clam Shop in Patten.  Now their lobster roll was fantastic, it was up there with Bob's, no doubt about it.  It was amazing.  Now I am really glad we don't live here.

I have been tossing around in my head that when we get home maybe we can start trying to make them.  Then I think of the buckets of cash, and I rethink that.  We have been poking around with the idea of getting a pizza stone and trying our hand at pizza making.  I love, love, love pizza.  Last night we sat around discussing the best pizza we have ever eaten.  I can't really say which was my favorite, but I will say that hands down the best pizza I have ever eaten has come from Brooklyn.  No doubt about it.  Sal's on Broome Street, NYC was also pretty amazing.  They had the best fried calzones imaginable, and they made mini-pizza.  I am not craving one now because all my culinary senses are focusing on lobster rolls.


No comments:

Post a Comment