Thursday, April 10, 2014

bone cage......

The butcher told me that I needed to purchase meat today because the prices were going to go up tomorrow, and so I did exactly that.  I looked at the veal shank, I know exactly what I am going to make with them, and I did not purchase, go figure.  I did, however, purchase the boneless pork chops.....

In keeping with the saying "all is better with bacon", Mrs. Gallo's Roasted Potatoes were on the menu, I used equal amounts of Baby Red Bliss and Baby Butter Yellow potatoes.  My Mother-in-law only used russet potatoes.  My Father-in-law was really never one to experiment with different food, so I think that if she would have used anything other than russet potatoes, he would have pitched a fit.
Different varieties of potatoes, I think, are far more widely available now than in the past, but sometimes I think that they were more flavorful.  Could the flavor have been bred out of them?  I truly think that potatoes don't taste as "potatoey".  In the farmers quest for a better crop, could this have happened?  I have always eaten raw potatoes, my mom would wrinkle her nose at me, while I was peeling them, I got that task.  I probably ate a goodly portion before they were even cooked, Gabriella enjoys them too.  I love to use baby reds, and yellows, fingerlings, blue potatoes, and a mix of all.  They all have different flavors to go along with the different shapes.  I wonder if we can grow them, maybe we can add the flavor back?  For now I will have to rely on the potato farmer and bacon.
I chopped shallots, onion, and garlic along with the potatoes.




I put them on jelly pans with the bacon, salt, pepper and some other herbs and popped them into a 350 degree oven for about an hour or till they were crisped up.

I made two pans so that we could have reruns of them.

While they were happily roasting in the oven, the pork chops were rubbed with love and pork rub, and then put on the grill..




Andrew grilled them like a pro....look at them lines...















They were grilled to absolute perfection, he can cook for me anytime, truly.  Yes, there was one chop that he fileted and cooked til it was dead, dead, dead, dead....but that was for the very picky eater, that will remain nameless, but they know and we know who they are....enough said, ruining a perfectly tasty morsel like that, in the immortal words of Mor, it was a crime, just a crime.....
Served with peas, the meal was absolutely porktastic......

Goop was served with fresh strawberries....

Tak for maltidet....tale i morgen...farvel  I miss you so very much

No comments:

Post a Comment