Sunday, April 20, 2014

Happy Easter, no eggs here, only risotto

One could say that arborio rice is kind of egg shaped, yeah, I know that is a stretch.  I really do have a plan.  The grocery stores had ricotta cheese on sale for Easter, so I decided to make not only lasagna, but I would try my hand at making a ricotta cheese cake.  When it comes to cheese cake, I think ricotta are my favorite.  I bought a dessert cookbook, yeah cause I really need to make desserts, and it had a few interesting things made with arborio/carnaroli/nano rice.  I decided on making Apple and Almond Risotto.  The only thing that I can really say is that it is different......
 I started by heating 64 ounces of apple juice and half cup of sugar in a sauce pan....

 I measured out 3 cups of arborio rice


 I used a sweet Italian wine. I thought about using Icewine, but that is really expensive.  This is an Italian dish so when in Rome....

 I peeled and chopped a good size Granny Smith apple, thinking that it would stand up nicely to cooking.


 I melted 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter in the pot and cooked the apple for about 5 minutes.
I then removed the apple and added the rice, and sauteed it til it was a slight golden color, then deglazed the pot with wine.



 I cooked the risotto rice as I would normally, when it was almost done, I added the apples back to the pot, added 3 tablespoons of butter, and the remaining 2 ounces of the apple juice.

I topped it with some toasted almond slivers.  If figs were in season, I would have added them, but as is stands right now the fig tree does not even have a glimmer of green, not one teeny tiny speck.

Thanks for a great day.....


No comments:

Post a Comment