Monday, August 4, 2014

41 days left..

I am back at it.  I gave it a rest for a few weeks, I went back in the kitchen to try again to perfect the Tomato Pie.  I have everything needed to make at least 2 pies.  I also have my new secret ingredient.
On Saturday on our way to see Andrew & Mel, we stopped at two farm stands, the first one had corn, and the second was fully stocked.  We purchased Jersey Tomatoes.  They were so fresh they still had dirt on them.  We bought them to have with the fresh mozzarella that I purchased at Pastosa.  But time got away from us, and so we left the cheese and brought home the tomatoes.  I can go anytime to get fresh cheese, or Andrew can go to Brooklyn for some, so it was no biggie.

I went to the garden, picked fresh oregano, parsley, thyme, and basil.  I cut up the tomatoes in bite size pieces, put them in the mesh colander, salted, and left them to drain some.  I washed the herbs, then put them in the salad spinner.  I cut 1/2 purple onion, 1/2 sweet onion, 1 shallot, and 4 garlic cloves.  I put them in the saute pan and cooked all til they were translucent.  I lined a quiche pan with pastry dough, then put pie weights, and blind baked it for 20 minutes. 
 I mixed 3/4 cup mayo, 1/2 of the sauteed onion mix, herbs, 1 cup each shredded mozzarella. extra sharp cheddar,  and Andrew's secret cheese blend.  I added the tomatoes to the mix then put everything in the pie crust, put another 1/2 cup of each cheese, and baked it for 40 minutes.
Then I did the whole thing over again.....this one came out even better...


Not for nothing.....I think I am getting there...


I just like knowing you exist.







 

No comments:

Post a Comment