Tuesday, November 11, 2014

a little rub

I spent Monday making bone-in rubbed pork shoulder in the oven.  One day I will venture out to maybe, just maybe, use the Weber Charcoal Grill by myself.  I know the goings on about making it work, just not enough to keep said going.  I think I need to do a reality check here, I don't even know how to start it let alone keep it going.   I would love to make it on the Weber and smoking it, or cooking with indirect heat.  Andrew has the stuff to make it work, he knows how to make some pretty fantastic pulled pork.  Turkey on the Weber is most wonderful, and I don't even really care for turkey, but he can coax flavors out of that bird that are just phenomenal.  Since my skill set does not include smoking I think that maybe I just should leave that out of my repertoire.

I rubbed the shoulder with Bad Byron's Butt Rub, the flavor is pretty awesome.  I preheated the oven to 225.


 I left it to nap with the rub on it for a while, I then heated a dutch oven with a wee bit of olive oil, and seared in all the ends of the meat.






 After a mere 7 hours in the oven, this is the magic that came out.
A very careful lift from the pot was just what this little piece of delicateness needed.  I put the most excellent brew from the pot into the fat separator, then into the fridge.  All the fat rose to the top, I removed it, then put the juices into the pot, when it was to a low boil, I added the meat back to warm through.








I did forget to buy Mr. Ron's cole slaw, we ate it on white bread, with a corn bread muffin on the side. 
I added Dinosaur sauce to mine.  Life is good when pulled pork is involved.


No comments:

Post a Comment