Thursday, November 13, 2014

guess the blend

We, let's face it...it was me, bought a boat load of apples because I said I would make a couple of apple pies.  I bought so many that they did not fit into my basket.  I had to steal StellaLuna's.  I vacuumed and washed it out to make sure that I did not have any cat hairs.  I made two deep dish 9" pies.  The Farmer's Market had at least 15 types of apples and I kind of bought them all.  I wanted to not only make the traditional type but I wanted to make one using puff pastry. 

I got lots of help making the uber secret spice blend, but I screwed up the amounts, and had to make enough for six pies.  No worries we put the blend into a hermetic jar so it will stay nice and fresh.
The blend was paired up with another ingredient I have never used before in an apple pie, but I have used it in cider, brandy.  Yummy.  I also added vanilla paste.  It was a wonderful mix.  Simply delicious.  I usually slice up the apples by hand, but as I was peeling the apples, I was thinking about a program that I had seen not to long ago, they used puffed pastry and apples.  The chef said that they sliced the apples on the mandolin.  So that is what I did.  I poured the brandy vanilla mix, then turned the blend loose on the slices. 




I popped them into the oven for 55 minutes.  I should have brushed the top with milk.  Next time.



My Dad said it was good, as did Glenette.  I am waiting to hear from Mike.  I thought I had made a very tasty apple pie.  That was what I was going for.

They did not guess all the ingredients.  



No comments:

Post a Comment