Saturday, December 26, 2015

it's Christmas....

Six days ago I went to the Asian Market to buy pork neck bones and rib bones.  The butcher behind the counter does not speak English and I don't speak his language, so we do a lot of pointing and hand gestures, good thing I from Brooklyn (hehehehe).  I have learned that these bones give the most flavor and they have been what I have used for years.  Then it is the same discussion after it has cooked for hours, I do not want to pick through the bones and veggies, Andrew wants too.  I say, "fill your boots", he does it for an hour, then gets disgusted and throws away what is left.  Same old. Same old.

As it started I had a 32 quart pot filled to the top, after cooking for 8 hours, we have dead meat, dead veggies, and meatless bones.  We strained the broth into containers and into the fridge for the fat to rise to the top.  When it was all said and done, we had about 16 quarts of broth.  It tasted like nothing.....  I seasoned the meat, roasted the bones and veggies, added herbs and spices.  Nothing I tell you....Nothing...

I was at a loss.  So I decided that I should reduce it, maybe that would help.  So now I have reduced 16 quarts to 10.  That is where I am at.  This has never happened to me before, so I am at a loss.  I decided to check with the experts, I went online to see.  I found "Bone Broth",  it says to cook it for 12-15 hours very low til the bones almost disintegrate.  We went Little Christmas Eve morning for more pork bones.

We also went on Wednesday for the Christmas Roasts.  Fresh Ham for Christmas Eve and Rib Roast for Christmas Day.

Wednesday, Little Christmas Eve, was spent getting the meat and other food ready to be cooked on Christmas Eve.  I make the first part of the dessert the day before because it needs to be totally cooled of so that I may complete it.  We spend all Christmas Eve day cooking for both days and so it is a very busy, busy day.   So here is a little sampling of how busy we actually are.

The Pprk Broth started us off...


After 6 hours of cooking it was not the right color nor did it taste of anything, so more bones were roasted and put in.....
After 24 hours of simmering it was a deep delicious brown color.  Of course I did not take a picture.

Pork Cutlets were cut from the loin, then pounded, put in a marinade and then on Thursday breaded and fried for Christmas Day.....

One of the first things we do early Christmas Eve morning is to pull the roast out of the fridge to bring it to room temperature.  You should never put a cold roast directly into the oven.  It was a beauty uncooked and even more beautiful completed.


I most certainly can't forget the gravy for the pork, let's face it, it is the gravy...

Christmas is truly my favorite holiday, all of my favorites are here from beginning to end.  Three or four days of pure food bliss.

The Medisterpolse is browned, pan gravy is made from the bits and juices, bone broth added, and then onto the burner to cook through.




The Frekidelle meat was seasoned and put back into the fridge overnight so that the all the flavors would meld and you fry them.  Don't wonder anymore why I am so happy for Christmas, it just keeps getting better and better.


Yes, it just keeps getting better.....my favorite....Ris A La Monde....it is laborious but sooo worth it....



Christmas Day, we also have....cold salads and cheese






We are going to have everyone over on Sunday for Christmas Part IV....complete with Rib Roast...I can't wait....reruns and Rib Roast.....Life is wonderful....totes....


 

No comments:

Post a Comment