Saturday, March 29, 2014

exit 165.....

On top of my very busy week, I had a little adventure that I enjoyed very, very much.  I was able to make a side trip to Fairway Market.  Now where most people don't see that as a wonderful time, I do...Sometimes, I think that I need to rethink these things, how can the most mundane chores make one so very happy???  I love, love, love to go to different markets, it makes me very happy.  I enjoy the Fairway, I go to one in NYC when I have an appointment with Dr. Lee, and I slay myself when I think about running, yes I have run, for the bus.  I have been to the Fairway in Paramus three times now.  I find their prices a little high, but for what I pick up, it is compatible.  While I was there I decided on dinner.  Broccoli Rabe and Sausage over Oricchiette.  Fairway had a beautiful display of fresh pasta, well need I say more....

First I washed the broccoli rab well because it felt really dirty.  I trimmed it all and got rid of the bottom of the stalks, and the outer leaves.  I have to say that there was barely any yellow on any of the the flowers, they really had a good crop of them....Their produce was really nice.



After the first washing....
I trimmed the stalks again, then I put them in the salad spinner to dry them.  By putting them in the spinner they kind of fluff up.



 The spinning really works well.  They became ginormous....


I purchased eight sweet Italian sausage also at the Fairway.  This is the second time I purchased meat from there.  They looked good, and the butcher said they were just made.  So I went for it.  I took the sausage out of the casing, and when I put them in the pan, I just kind of broke them all up.


I sauteed them in olive oil and garlic.  I added a little salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes (for a little heat).


I drained off the fat and then added 4 tablespoons of olive oil to the pan.





I had put the water on to boil the macaroni, so it was boiling by the time the sausage was almost cooked, I put the oricchiette in the salted water, they need to cook for 4-6 minutes.  I added the Broccoli rabe to the sausage in two steps, added a bit of chicken broth, put the lid on to steam for 3 minutes til they were bright, drained the macaroni, and reserving a cup or so of the water.  I then added the macaroni to the sausage/broccoli rabe, water, and sauteed them together for a minute or so....added Parmesan and pepper flakes........Served with fresh bread. ..... The rest is history

It was truly all that.  We topped it all off with a slice of Dr. Jones' pound cake.

All is right in our little world.......







No comments:

Post a Comment