Sunday, March 1, 2015

long wait

Finally the weekend is here.  I have been waiting nearly a week to make what I have been craving.  I have been jonesing for Cabbage & Noodles.  I can't remember the first time I had that deliciousness but it hasn't been all that long ago, maybe 18 years.  When we first moved here, there was a most wonderful Polish restaurant here in town and we would go there quite frequently.  It was a favorite of Gabriella's and Andrew loved the Chicken Soup.  Then they closed.  I had heard that they reopened in a different location, but I never found out where. 

To prepare the Cabbage & Noodles I started with the bacon.  Let's all face it, everything is better with bacon, even bacon.  The answer is always bacon.





When that was done, I drained most of the bacon fat. 

I then sauteed shallots and garlic, then added the finely sliced cabbage.  While the cabbage mix was cooking, I boiled the noodles.  When the noodles were almost done, I removed about 2 cups of the water, and saved it.  I then drained the noodles and added them to the wilted cabbage mix along with the cooked chopped bacon and let them cook the rest of the way through.




I did not like how dark the cabbage & Noodles came out and I realized why.  I had always cooked the bacon in the oven, and always used clean bacon fat and butter.  The fond on the pan was too dark and that turned the vegetables dark along with the noodles.  I don't have a picture of the completed dish, I forgot.  It was kind of a good thing because I did not like the way it looked.  It tasted good, looks not so much.  I think we are going to have Cabbage & Noodles part deux.

A couple of days or three, I was in the big freezer downstairs foraging for food that I could pack up and give to Gabriella while she was going to hang out at Danielle's house, I set aside Lamb Chops that we purchased a little bit ago when they were on sale.  I thought that they would accompany the noodles nicely.  I took them out so they could thaw early Saturday morning.

A long, long, long time ago, I saw a product from an infomercial and I bought it, something I had never done before or since.  It is a "Miracle Thaw" and I love it.  I have used it thousands of times and it really does work.  I thought it was magic until I found out how it works and that I could have used a regular cookie sheet, but still all in all, I am very happy that I did buy it.  I placed the chops on the Miracle Thaw and let it work it's magic.  Andrew did not think that they would defrost in time, but I knew they would.  Hehehehe.
When the chops were defrosted, they were seasoned with salt & pepper, then they were put on the grill.


Andrew worked his grilling magic on them and they were beyond fabulous.


Utter perfection.....


No comments:

Post a Comment