Saturday, December 7, 2013

December 5, 2013

Mitty Gallo

Shared publicly  -  Dec 5, 2013
 
We are moving a little to fast for my liking towards Christmas.....I haven't done anything yet to prepare for the holidays.  I have not even thought about the shopping.  I guess it's a good thing that I don't have to come up with a menu.  I know where I have to go to get the food, but I haven't thought much past that.  Last Christmas was kind of a blur....

I have decided that I want to relax and enjoy.  Yes, it will be hectic, busy, loud, and someone will either complain about the Christmas music or Springsteen, I will flip back and forth for the next couple of weeks between the two.  I need to listen to both, one for the stories and the other for memories.   I will probably slip in Mark Knopfler, Van Morrison and maybe, just maybe some Stevie Nicks.  This morning has been a very Van day, maybe its the fog that is bringing that on, I don't know why.  I tend to bury myself in my music, I guess a lot of people do.  When I listen to songs, they trigger a memory and I go there.  Good, bad or indifferent....

Bruce Springsteen brings me to growing up, I can remember exactly where I was and who I was with the first time I ever heard him.  I have been to many of his concerts and have never, ever, not even once, been disappointed.  You ain't a beauty, but hey you're alright....  That's me.  John "Cookie" Knudsen, Softball field right side benches, Shore Road at about 94th street, Brooklyn, NY, I was 13.

I remember buying the Fleetwood Mac's Rumours Album, they were getting a lot of airplay for "Go Your Own Way", "Dreams", and "Don't Stop".  Frank, my bestest friend Chris' dad, always made the same comment about the line in "Dreams", "Thunder only happens when it's raining".  I can remember buying the album on 86th Street and playing it over and over.  It started a passion for Stevie Nicks, and I have listened to her ever since. Living on Shore Road,  sitting on the red shag rug with only a candle lit, all alone, with my headphones  on, volume cranked, listening to "Bella Donna".

I listened to all of my music that way, it was my touchstone, my salvation, my religion.  It kept me company, never hurt me, made me cry though.  I could lose myself there.  I still do it.  When we lived on Shore Road, I really started listening to  Mark Knopfler, we went to see him in concert for Dire Strait's "Brothers in Arms" Tour at Madison Square Garden with Kiki and John Stewart.  A few years earlier, I remember this guy Eddie changing up the lyrics of "Sultans of Swing" because the name George is mentioned, and he had a failing out with another friend of ours named George over a girl, whose name I think was Lisa.  The first album, well CD, I ever put on a MP3 player, was Mark's "Sailing to Philadelphia".  I listened to it the whole time down, during, and on the way home from Roar to the Shore rally in Wildwood, NJ.  I was riding my Heritage at the time.  Andrew let me ride his bike, the Screaming Eagle, for a little bit on our way home, I was thrilled.  It makes me smile when I think of that. I listen to Mark Knopfler on my Ipod always, always, always.....so much that I know all words and have my minds' eye on all the photos in my head to all the times in my life that the words bring to the forefront.

Van Morrison is another favorite.  The only song, I don't like, I really don't like is "Brown Eyed Girl".  I have only realized that it was something in me knew something the rest of me did not know, or maybe was afraid to know, cause it would cripple me.   Andrew came home from work one day, and he said that Van Morrison and Roseanne Cash had recorded together, he had just been listening on WFUV and said that they were really good together, so I went online and listened.  Yeah, they were good, but he was better, and I preceded
to listen and know Van.  One of my favorite trips with Andrew was to York, PA to the Harley-Davidson Factory for the Open House, We rode on the 95 ElectraGlide.  It had a cassette player, and I made a copy of the "Back on Top" CD, and he indulged me by playing it.  "High Summer", a favorite, reminds me of Mor, talking about Kiki.  I guess its the mention of the  rhododendrons and the red sports car.  Also, it was September.   "Reminds Me of You" is like looking right through me, and seeing me. The song "Smooth" by Santana & Rob Thomas(Matchbox 20) was being played heavily on VH1, so every time I hear that, it reminds me of that.

So......what does all of that have to do with "Cooking on DeVoe"...

Nothing and everything.....

If you know me, you know that you can find me, singing and dancing, neither of which I do well at all, with my head phones on being me.

I made some risotto....

1 comment:

  1. OH BOY DO I KNOW YOU! For those of you who don't know Mitty, let me conform that ther have been MANY mornings that we have walked around the lake at the park with her wearing her headset, music blaring, her arms flaring and "singing ?" VERY LOUD and OFF KEY along with the songs. Senior Citizens passing her like they're in a Marathon, but she doesn't give up. I on the other hand take several breaks on the strategically placed park benches for a cigarette break and act like I don't know her (even though I love her dearly). But there is only so much I am willing to admit to...... like when we go out for Chinese food and she wears her pajamas. That is what True Friends do. Love her no matter what!

    ReplyDelete