Friday, December 27, 2013

Merry Christmas to all.......

The last 3 days were wonderful beyond compare.  We cooked some great food, spent time with our family and friends, had some great food.  My Mom and Dad had all four of their children together...

I made pork gravy from the bones that I purchased and boiled them for about 16 hours, let's face it. there was nothing left but the bones.  All the meat and the rest of the stuff just fell off.  We strained it through a chinois, and put on the porch cook top. 

Christmas Eve morning, we brought the Fresh Ham in to come to room temperature, while it was still cold, we cut the fat cap up into diamond shapes on the ham, careful not to cut through the meat.  The Ham was deboned, seasoned, and tied back up.  About two hours after bringing it in and putting it in the roasting pan, I put it in the oven.  I roasted it at 500 degrees F for about 30 minutes, then dropped it down to 350, and cooked it for about 4 hours, turning it every around in the oven every 44 minutes, until the interior temp was 145. Well needless to say, the last time I turned it was 140 so I turned it one more time, I pulled it out it was 160.  We were worried that it was over cooked.  It wasn't.  The fresh ham was fantastic.





 
The fat was seasoned, crispy, and delicious.  Mom and Kiki both had some and said it was fantastic.


While the ham was in the oven, Mom &  Dad scrubbed and cubed the potatoes.  We put them on the stove to boil.  I later mashed them by hand with cream cheese, chives and a smidge of heavy cream & butter.   I thought of paying tribute to Mor by making a stuffing that she would have made.  I diced shallots and garlic, sauteed them in a fry pan, next I added sliced apples.  I cooked them until they were soft, added chopped prunes and chestnuts.  Andrew had roasted chestnuts and we were all noshing on them as we cooked.  I deglazed the pan with wine, added some pork stock and let it cook for a few minutes.  Next I added the bread, turned it a few times, put it in a baking dish then put it in the oven. 









The vegetables were the usual subjects; corn, green beans, and peas.  Of course, red cabbage with currant jelly.



Everyone was here, and we were ready to eat.  The meat was carved and we sat to enjoy......













It was a Christmas Eve to remember, I have a family, a whole family, that loves each other. 

We then had dessert.....



It was the bestest of days......

No comments:

Post a Comment