Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Inchiostro nero seppia risotto con gamberi ....and London Broil

I know dinner did not really flow, it was not a good pairing.  I don't know what I was thinking, maybe not thinking...but..it was

Thirteen and a half hours later, and I still don't know how I feel about the Inchiostro nero seppia risotto con gamberi, that is black squid ink risotto with shrimp.  It had a flavor that was different from anything that I had ever tasted.  Would I make it again, yes..

I purchased the Ribe risotto rice already permeated with the squid ink.  I semi fine chopped 2 medium shallots and four cloves of garlic. We had cleaned and cooked about a pound of shrimp, then cut them in half.  I sauteed the shallots til they were translucent in olive oil and butter, then added the garlic.  I then deglazed the pan with white wine.  Normally, if I was making risotto, I would lightly brown the rice then deglaze, but I figured the less I touch the rice, the more ink would stay on.  A few weeks back, I was reading "Cook's Illustrated", they discussed making risotto without constant stirring, they wrote to add all the liquid at once, so I gave it a whirl.  I'm happy to say, that I did that, stirred twice, and when it was almost done, I added the butter and the shrimp.  Also, I usually would have used broth instead of water, but I did not want it to be flavored by anything but the ink and shrimp. 

 Viola....done. 















The London Broil was delicious.  Andrew rubbed it, let it sink in, and then grilled it to perfection.  The perfect color, cooked to perfection, it was tender, and cut like butter.....



We did not have any veggies, but we did have a small salad.

Tonight.....Killer Loaf




No comments:

Post a Comment