Monday, January 13, 2014

Mmmmm......Pork......


I love pork. Everything is better with bacon on it.  Andrew and I were talking about the pork tenderloin cutlets that we made for Christmas Day.  When I say we, I use this term very loosely, Andrew is the one who does the carving, fileting, chopping, and most knife wielding duties.  I will do other types of cutting or dicing, but usually most of protein cutting is done by him.  Seasoning, brine,  and marinating food is my duty.  Rubbing is his forte' along with the grilling and BBQing.  Yesterday, in the late morning we went to the Hong Kong Market for pork neck bones, ribs, and pork tenderloin.

I needed the neck bones to make the broth to make the gravy for the tenderloin cutlets.  We purchased six whole neck bones and had the butcher cut them into smaller pieces.  We also bought pigs feet.... We have never bought them before.  We came home to start the broth firstly by cleaning and rough chopping the leeks, celery, garlic, and carrots.  The leeks took the longest, they are dirty.  I then put the neck bones on baking pans, seasoned them, and then roasted them in a 425 degree oven for about 25 minutes.  Andrew cleaned the ribs up, and I put them along with the feet into the oven next.

I sauteed the leeks til they were soft, added the necks, ribs and feet.  Finally the veggies, seasoned with salt, pepper and some other spices, turned the burner on and cooked it with the lid on for about 7 hours. 










I have been roasting the neck
bones before I put them in the pot, I think that it adds great flavor.
 Then cut up the ribs and the little legs and feet.....


 We were giggling like kids the feet were too funny....



Look at the color....

Then it cooked some more....





Then we tackled the pork tenderloin, trimmed the fat and sinew, then sliced it for the cutlets, pounded them between wax paper, and put them into the marinade.  They will stay there for 2 days, then we will cook the cutlets.  I can hardly wait.









Tuesday, Tuesday, Tuesday......

No comments:

Post a Comment